Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Junk Drawer

I will say this for the tornado.   There's a lot less junk in my junk drawer.   It still needed my attention though.

At the end of this year, we had roughly four work days in our classroom.   Those kind of days are just what I need to help me wrap up and look forward.   I can revisit and rearrange my files.   I can make a "must have" list.   I can climb on furniture and dust.   I can listen to blues on Pandora.   I can tackle my desk drawers.

One side drawer is for confidential student information and reports.   One is for printer paper and the gardening gloves I use to open my windows until I remember a can of WD-40.  One was for office supplies, but that drawer is the official junk drawer now.

Since I use that skinny top drawer the most, I decided it needed some love.   In addition to what you see here, the top drawer is where I stash important forms that need to be read, signed and returned pronto.

 
All sorts of tricks will make a drawer work for you.   I bought this flatware organizer at a local Asian market in 1970s cafeteria tray green.   You can see a couple of other wooden boxes that I've picked up at a thrift store.   Some folks even slice off the bottom inches of cereal boxes to use as containers.   You can also use one of those rubber shelf liners to keep your materials from rolling around once they're in place.

I'm not done yet, but it's a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment