Thursday, June 30, 2011

Guys Read

It's easy to go on and on about fellas and reading, so I bet this won't be the last time I mention the topic.   I just had to drop in and whisper a name to you, "Jon Scieszka."  

He's written one of the funniest children's books ever.   Cowboy & Octopus is one of the most unlikely buddy stories around, and when I read it out loud, I laugh so hard that I snort when I get to the hammer scene.   Don't ask me to spoil it for you.   Just find it at your local library.

I've mentioned one of his collaborative efforts before in the entry on Exquisite Corpse Poetry.   He's even reigned supreme as our National Ambassador of Young People's Literature.   I think that it would be worth your time to get a copy of Guys Write for Guys Read: Boys' Favorite Authors Write About Being Boys  and Guys Read: Funny Business .  

The fantastic Mr. S. edited both editions and his story about a family road trip in Guys Write is one of my favorite read-alouds.   Well, that and "The Follower" by Jack Gantos.   And guess what?   Thanks to NPR, you may meet Scary Gary for yourself...for free.  
It's so much fun for students to hear their favorite writers telling true tales from childhood.   Spend some time on the Guys Read website for more neat-o tips, book recommendations and good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment