Monday, February 11, 2013

Wonder: A Blog Inside a Blog

Help Readers Love Reading: Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Thanks to my own middle skoo pal, Laura, I can share this ^ resource with you.   I have nothing to do with all of the hard work that went into this awesome site.   It's full of clips, links, songs and photos to help children visualize and understand the pop culture references in R.J. Palacio's Wonder.

What's Wonder all about?   Check out this book trailer:


Wonder has a broad appeal, and even though the main character is youngish, my 8th graders are enjoying his story right now.   When we talk about struggling readers, they are often open to a variety of stories, if you will provide the support they need to get through them.

I've been alternating my read-alouds with the book on CD.   So far we've only gotten through two parts, meaning two voices.   I'm not crazy about the voices that we're chosen to narrate, but sometimes my throat needs a break.   Now, I can use the resources this wonderful teacher has assembled to help kids get some of the references that are made in the book, most often by Auggie.   A good reader visualizes without thinking twice.   Others could use a little assistance.

Today we used paint chips to copy September's precept from the book.   Each child wrote on two paint chips.   They will hang one in a public spot.   My friends will help out by hanging the others.

What's September's precept?

"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." (Dr. Wayne Dyer)

(For the record, I am well aware that I could also use a little personal growth, so I'm keeping one of the less legible tags for myownself.)

Long after I was out of paint chips for our Random Acts of Inspiration, people still wanted to participate, so those folks are at the top of my list this go round.


Isn't it good to be reminded every now and then that we are all wonders of creation?

No comments:

Post a Comment