Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can you read the fine print?

Me neither.   Even so, there have been times that I have been bored out of my mind and would have loved to have a chunky dictionary to read for fun.   Seriously.  

That's not what most students want from their dictionary though.   They want to check the spelling of a word or two.   Get in.   Get out.   Get done.

For some kids, the sheer amount of words on a page is overwhelming.   They prefer to look up words on line.   I agree.   I keep dictionary.com at the ready.   The reality is that we don't have enough computers to make this workable for the whole class.

Imagine my delight when I discovered this gem:

Webster's New Explorer Large Print Dictionary

Sure it's large print, and I teach young eyes.   Young eyes still appreciate ease of reading.   Now, if you need a dictionary that is more Oxford Englishy -- this is not for you.   If you need a reference for spelling and short definitions without word histories, this could fit the bill.   The books are light...no blue toes from dropping a hefty tome on your shoe.

Right now the hardback version is about $9 on Amazon.com and eligible for Super Saver Shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment